i

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Weekend Thrills!

I’m back, much earlier than I expected. Probably the weekend provided the necessary thrust to wake me up from my hibernation. Bad ones first, my laptop is infected with a Trojan spam and my stupid Norton failed to destroy it. I’m downloading all available spywares to get it cleaned up. Till now, all my efforts are futile. Ok, now to the good ones. I watched two movies this weekend. My views on them follow,

Stay Alive

Apt to the name, the movie is scary and thrilling. “Stay Alive” is the name of a video game on which this movie is based on. “What happens when the game starts playing you?” – the movie promos flash this line everywhere. I guess, it explains all. A group of friends are being haunted after they start playing this game. They start getting killed in the same way they are killed in the game. Sounds creepy? Believe me, it is! The first half of the movie is very good. The director has managed to scare the audience every now and then. The background music is haunting and keeps you guessing all time what would be happening next. Till the end of the first half, it seemed like it was one of the best horror movies, I had seen recently. But the second half was lousy and it was a complete let down. It ended like a fairy tale, which could possibly scare toddlers, I’m not even sure of this. But in all, it was a pretty decent movie that could be watched once at least for the sake of the first half.

The Hills have Eyes

This was my second thriller in a row. The trailer of this movie evoked a lot of curiosity and I couldn’t resist it. “Between 1932 and 1955, the US government has conducted stealthily more than 331 nuclear tests in the deserts of New Mexico” – The movie starts with this prologue. I could guess something about this movie even during the titles. And I was right! A whole inhabited village has suffered the wrath of nuclear radiation because of a nuclear testing performed by the US government. It has become lost and unidentified in the middle of the New Mexico desert. Years later, there are cases of people disappearing who try to cross this desert region. The movie revolves around the mysterious things that happen to an American family who plan on a road trip to San Diego, CA through this desert. More than scary, I would say, this movie is gory. Too much of bloodshed and too many unpleasant things force one to close his eyes involuntarily. The plot is not so tight and if you had watched movies like the House of Wax, you could make a guess on what would happen next. I don’t know how long would Hollywood cash in on the idea of a disappeared village/town. “Silent Hill” is another movie that is getting released this spring; I guess it has the same story line. If you are a horror buff and if gory things were your interest, I would say, there is no harm in watching this movie once.

There are still a couple of more movies on my list, V for Vendetta, heard that the dialogues are very good; Failure to Launch, I don’t like Sarah Jessica Parker and that’s one reason why I don’t feel like running to this movie but I heard that it is a refreshingly good comedy. And then of course, I would watch MI 3, once it gets released. X-Men 3 is also stated to be released soon but I’m not very fond of it, so might skip that one. Hah! Lets see!!

Hope, all you guys had a great weekend too!


4 Comments:

Blogger My Ramblings... said...

Horror flicks? Think I will stay away from them...too many nightmares to begin with.
Looks like you had fun... watching all that...I had a lazy weekend other than the chaos that hit me for the big day ;)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

Yup. Great weekend but without horror flicks! :D
Well, I finally did read your post despite the fact that the pictures look scary :)

9:43 PM  
Blogger Laks said...

hey... i spent part of my weekend downloading anti spyware s/w too!..it sux when they eat away ur h/w.. anyways.. havent watched any of the movies that u jus reviewed... been watchin quite a lotta movies myself.. but most of them were the old ones that i had missed out on..(some as old as "The bridge on the river Kwai")...jus waitin for new releases before i camp in the theatres! :P

6:29 AM  
Blogger Naveen said...

$ Ramblings - Hmm..yea, you better not watch them, if you feel like getting scared:)

$ Rita - Yea, actually the movies were not THAT scary :)

$ Lakshana - All these spamwares and malwares suck..I love old movies too..I have a very good collection of all those classics in India!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home