i

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A wrong signal!
Unusually, I was having some time today to watch TV. I generally enjoy the comedy shows that come on air after 6:30. I was enjoying Seinfeld and then came Malcom in the middle. For those of you who haven't watched M in the M, a brief intro on what it is about. 4 teenage boys and their relationship with their girlfriends is all about it.
Donna and Eric are long term friends. Donna is very sporty and skilled. She beats Eric in almost everything, be it basket ball or hockey. Eric gets humiliated by his friends for losing to his girl. At times, he gets uncomfortable with Donna due to this.
A dialogue of Donna's mom under this circumstances infuriated me, "Donna, you must make men feel that you are weak and fragile, that makes them feel that they are superior in this world. Only then, they will be comfortable in any relationship". Now, what is this? Are men like this? I havent been in a long term relationship with any girl so far. Even if I'm, I would certainly not feel this way. So do my friends.
We speak of women's liberalization and equality. But, if women fake themselves like this for satisfying some stupid men, how could we ever take any step further in this. I know, I should not be bothered by a comedy show but something tells me that this sends wrong signals to both the sides!

7 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

Think about it. A real clever girl u fall for happens to snub u all the time, beat u at every possible thing u guys do together, and would u still wanna spend ur life with her? Personally, may be yes, may be no. But socially, there is no denying that guys looking for girls less educated, less scholarly, lesser paid, lesser in status, but perhaps better only in looks. Its not an isolated issue that moms advice their gals to stay a foot behind so as to have somebody with them. Like it or not, marriage has become a bitterly important thing. If anything, its the girls who ought to be complaining more than the handful of guys who feel like u do. The sad fact is, ur side is only a handful.

7:24 AM  
Blogger RT said...

me back to blogging...just catching up on your posts - Belated Birthday wishes :-)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Laks said...

well.. wudn all women b glad if all the men think the way u do :P ..unfortunately thz not the case... n i dont think a woman shud fake her attitude... the guy shud b proud of the originality!not b embarassed that he cudn match up to her..

5:28 AM  
Blogger Naveen said...

$ Janani - Like you say, if a guy cannot live with a girl who beats him in everything, will a girl be able to live with a guy who beats her in each and everything?? Logically, she should not be able to..right? Then, why this faking? If just having a guy as a husband is an important thing in life, then, i would say, there is no real need for marriage..hope you would agree with me!

$ Aarthi - Welcome back! and thanks for the wishes :)

$ Lakshana - I agree completely, a guy should take pride in his wife's ability.

$ Sona - Thanks for dropping by! Nope, the soap hasnt affected me, it has just made me think :), guess, thats not an indication of addiction :)

7:36 PM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

Well not all men think the same you know. Not every guy will appreciate the fact that his girl is better than him be it sports, studies or career wise.
And majority of the crowd functions like that.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Shikha said...

Guys dont like girls who are smarter than them..of cos,there are exceptions but they are a minority..
Once a girl i kno was asking the guy with her to teach her how to use her atm card..and it was the zillionth time she was going to the atm..puke worthy

9:24 PM  
Blogger Naveen said...

$ My Ramblings - I agree that not men appreciate girls being smarter, but my question is, why should girls fake they are dumb?..

$ Shikha - Well, I dunno what to say about your friend..

$ Ricky - Not all men are stupid, some stay bachelors - ha ha ! experience..eh??

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home