i

Thursday, December 15, 2005

To the Alma Mater – With Love!

One can never deny the fact that the school/college that he/she attended has played a vital role in what he/she has become in life today. But not many of us give a thought about this. There are cases where people never even thing about their colleges after they pass out. Is this the way to pay back for whatever we have got from our Alma Mater? One of my college’s alumni donated Rs. 1 Crore for building a research laboratory. Another senior of mine requited by instrumenting an award for the best out-going student every year. These are just a few examples. I myself have received 8 awards instrumented by the alumni of my department.

I’m writing this post after reading this article. Mr. Victor Menezes, an alumni of the IIT – Bombay has donated $1.5 Million to his Alma Mater. In all he has pledged $3 Million to the institute. I liked his quote, “IIT gave me priceless education – and this is a small way to say thank you”.

Since all of us are beholden to the institutions that educated us, this is an ingenuous way of paying back. And more importantly such acts would improve the quality of education in India. We can provide world class infrastructure in our educational institutions with this lucre, there by producing a number of Intellects. Whats your say on this?

9 Comments:

Blogger My Ramblings... said...

Very True! Considering you have spent some of your best years within that institution, its only fair that we give something in return.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Nothings aplenty said...

i agree. my 5 years of college were absolutely great. i learnt so much, and not just in terms of academic stuff. i have my plans. am working toward it. :)

9:44 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

I agree too! :)

1:01 AM  
Blogger Shikha said...

I havent done anything for my school/college yet..i go there to meet my old teachers,thats all

3:08 AM  
Blogger Shikha said...

Btw,here's an article related to this in Hindu
http://www.hindu.com/2005/12/16/stories/2005121603571200.htm

4:20 AM  
Blogger Naveen said...

@Ramblings - Very true!

@Nothings Aplenty - Good! If you have no problems with sharing your plan with us, that would be great! :)

@Rita - Good!

@Shikha - I guess meeting the teachers is also a good way of expressing that you still havent forgotten them! I dont have that habit..I'm glad that you do have it :)

Hey Shikha, the URL that you have posted seems to be truncated..Can you post it again?

9:45 AM  
Blogger Shikha said...

stories/2005121603571200.htm

heres the rest of the link

12:31 AM  
Blogger Naveen said...

Thanks Shikha, I read the article..It is very true!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Accidental Fame Junkie said...

I agree too!

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home