i

Monday, December 12, 2005

Two days and Two lessons!
Well, everyone walks out of work on a Friday with an excitement about the forth-coming weekend. I’m no exception to this. This weekend started with the same feeling but turned out to be quite different from others. It gave me mixed feelings.

#Friday Night – For the first time in my life and after my 10 months of stay in the US, I went to a strip club. It was not that I was desperate to go there but my friends had planned for it and I did not want to play the spoil sport.I know, in winter people do not prefer to indulge in outdoor activities like hiking and horse riding but instead they flock these kind of bars. So I was not surprised to see that the place was crowded when we entered. It was exciting to watch the naked girls dancing for the first few minutes. But I started feeling bored after that. My friends were enjoying a game of pool and were getting drunk. But since I do not booze, I felt left alone and was getting bored to death. Then, I started observing the dancers. Though they seemed to be smiling, I could sense an irritation in their eyes. There were men and women seated around them, waving dollar bills and enjoying the dance amorously. The dance was more like circus, the dancers were dancing on a pole and were flexing like rubber. I could feel the physical pain they were enduring. I just wanted to know how they felt for doing such a job. There were bouncers all over the place preventing people from approaching the dancers. So there was no way I could reach a dancer. So I decided to speak to a bar tender. She was very pretty and should not be aging more than 20 years. I ordered a Coke for me and started a dialogue with her. She told me that she aspired to become an actress oneday and she was saving money by working in the bar. She exuded her wrath towards the people who thronged the place. I was shocked when she told me this, “Just because they have money, they cannot buy us”. I asked a question to myself, Are we not to be blamed for encouraging such abominable things in the society, be it developed or developing? I’ve decided never to go to such places again where people are treated like animals just for a fist full of dollars.

#Saturday Afternoon – Got hold of the ‘Salaam Namaste’ DVD after a long hunt. It was a nice movie but meant only for sheer entertainment. We should not be taking anything out of it. The concept of “living together” is debatable and the opinion about it differs from person to person. But personally, I’m not for it especially in a society like ours’. Its fine if the girl and boy live together for sometime and then they get married. But just think the other way. What will happen if they decided to break? Are there enough men in the society who are ready to accept this girl who has ‘lived’ with another guy or are there enough magnanimous women who can accept this guy after this? I don’t think so. I have seen cases where people love someone and are forced to marry someone else. I can understand how they feel hurt. If just love can bring this unhappiness, would ‘living together’ not bring more if not less?

So, the lessons that this weekend taught me,

1. Don’t encourage flesh trade in the society
2. Don’t try to be too much radical in life and bring unhappiness at the end!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rita said...

Hey, Naveen seems like you had an eventful week! Well, I agree with you on the flesh trade bit but not on the live in relationship bit. Love affairs break off, marriages break off too. Similarly, live in relationships may break off as well. It depends on the people who want to enter into it. If two adults, by mutual conset decide to live together it is okay, I guess. After a while, if they part ways it is sad. And yes, the pain is always there.
There seems to be a tinge of morality attached to your comment about it.
BTW, thanks for linking me! :)

10:21 PM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

"1. Don’t encourage flesh trade in the society" - If there were more people around who support this stand, the world would be a much better place to live in.

Salaam Namaste- True, you can watch it for its entertainment value. But things are changing, even in our society. It does not mean you have to go to extremes. Each to his or her own but the freedom to make your decisions about your life is very necessary.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Shikha said...

Two valuable lessons:) especially the second one but it can be applied to some other things too.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Accidental Fame Junkie said...

Going to a strip club is just one of the things that young people should try out. But yes, getting addicted to it is not adviced! I'm glad that for you that is not a problem!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Naveen said...

@Rita - You are right, if the two people involved know about the after effects of the break up and even then agree to do so, it is fine. It is left to them!

@Ramblings - I hope the same too! You are right about the living together stuff. There is no compulsion to go to the extremes but if we feel that it is Ok, it is absolutely fine to do so.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Naveen said...

@Shikha - Very true, two valuable lessons! Yea, we can restrain ourselves in a lot of such similar situations!

@AFJ - Ohh yea true, I'm not addicted to this for sure :)

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home