i

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Those were the best days of my life!

The heading might sound as if I'm going to review Bryan Adam's Summer of '69! But in fact, I'm posting the reminiscences of the best days of my life. 1998 - 2002 was the eon that enveloped most of my cherishable days. I was at college then. My college is one of the best colleges and if somebody asked me where I was studying, I was elated to divulge it's name. No wonder my mates shared the same feeling as I did. Now trying to be pertinent to the post, I'm listing down the best things that happened to me during that golden era (exaggerated !!),

1. My first hostel life - Wow man, what a life? We called our hostel 'Home away from Home'. Guys from all across the country were there. The only commonality in the beginning was that all of us had a 1, 2 0r a 3 digit overall TNPCEE rank. The first day of my hostel life flew by just asking each other about their cut-off marks and their ranks(even before asking the names!). Only later in life we understood that just not education and marks that maketh a man. But, we were young then, so pardonable :). The college was celebrating its 50th anniversary when we joined. The alumni list made us quiver with an unexplainable sensation. The hostel was always throbbing with life. The first few nights were thrilling. Every night someone would be ragged by the seniors and they would narrate their experiences to us. Everybody would be shivering not knowing when their turns would be. Some questions that were asked to us during ragging sessions were too much intellectual in the fields ranging from Rocket Science to S**. Man, we were having the time of our lives! The food in the mess was excellent and I have never heard anybody cribbing about it (But ofcourse we hated the breakfasts!).

2. My first best friends list - I studied in seven different schools in seven different places and so I dint get good opportunities to make good best friends at school. But my hostel life gave me a good arena to pick and choose the best guys and make them my best friends. AK, SP, RP, RS, Ms. D, Ms. J, Ms. SS and the list is endless. I cannot rate anybody whom I met after college better than these guys. They are the BEST!

3. My first movie in a theatre - My mom never liked (likes!) me watching movies. So I have never been to a theatre in my school days. It was in my first semester at college that I went to a theatre (Devi theatre, Chennai) to watch a movie!! It was a different experience because all my friends who came with me that day explained me how to take a ticket in a theatre and kind of stuff (weird !) but it was fun. I cherish that experience till date.
4. My first computer class - When I touched the computer for the first time in the lab, something bode me that I was going to dwell in it for life.Hmm..how true that was! Most of my mates were from the computer science group in school, so they didnt have much of an issue with the idiot box. But, I tell you, I had to really struggle to make the head and tail out of it.
5. My first job - Final year rocked! It was placement time, being one of the toppers in the class, I was pretty much sure that I would make it in one or the other company. I had a good GRE and a GMAT score and so I was basically care free at that point in time. All we had to do was to wait till 4.00 PM for the classes to end and break to the mess for a cup of coffee and instantaneously decide on what to do in the evening. We did all freaking things, like walking on the railway tracks(balancing on the track is fun!) , going to the airport and sitting there watching planes land and takeoff wondering when we would be getting a chance to board one and all kind of immature things! I never wanted to join a software company. I used to make fun of my seniors who joined such companies. But when it was my turn, I literally had no options other than attending the interview of the company that I'm working for now. I got through my first interview with ease. It dint even last for 7 minutes! So I had a job in my seventh semester. If you think 7th was fun, hold on, 8th was much more fun. All I had to do was to attend classes for 8 credits (Out of which 4 was for my project) and enjoy the remaining time..Yay!!
Now it seems everything happened in a jiffy. Huh! see, I'm sitting here and dreaming about my past. Looks like 4 years passed away in 4 minutes. But I'm sure, I would be carrying all these moments till I die!

6 Comments:

Blogger RT said...

college life is undoubtedly the best days anyone could ask for...especially if u r staying in a hostel..

11:28 PM  
Blogger Shikha said...

8th sem is really a lot of fun and more if you already have a job in hand

11:35 PM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

I miss my college days and those classes I bunked and all the crazy things my firends and I used to do. :)
Hostel life is the BEST! :D

1:46 AM  
Blogger Naveen said...

@Aarthi - Very true, hostel life is better than a day scholar life :)

@Shikha - Yea, you get a feeling that your future is secure, but not always true :)

@Ramblings - I can understand what you say! I guess, hostel life was not the best just for me but for most of us :) It was a cool life..Dont you think so?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Accidental Fame Junkie said...

College life is always the best! I loved my college life too and yeah it's got quite a few of those firsts!

11:50 PM  
Blogger Naveen said...

@AFJ - True, college life is the best! I'm glad you loved yours' too!

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home